ACER, Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators, is committed to user privacy. The policy on protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions is based on Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000.
Some surveys pages may contain links to other websites. ACER is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
2. Why do we collect, store and process your data?
We collect and process your personal information for these purposes:
- enable you to create public consultations, surveys, registration forms or questionnaires
- enable you to participate in a public consultation or any other questionnaire
- enable you to willingly participate in a follow-up to a survey
- solve the incidents you might experience while using ACER Survey Tool
Collected personal data is treated according to the policy described in the above-mentioned regulation. The tasks related to ACER Survey Tool are carried out in the public interest. No processing operations on personal data falling under article 27 "Prior-Checking by the EDPS" are applicable.
3. Who is responsible for the processing of your data? (Controller)
Your data is processed under the responsibility of the Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators (ACER).
The ACER's Data Protection Officer ensures that the provisions of the above-mentioned regulation are applied within ACER.
The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) is acting as an independent supervisory authority. The EDPS makes sure that all EU institutions and bodies respect people’s right to privacy when processing their personal data.
4. What personal data do we collect?
This statement only covers the corporate service dimension of ACER Survey Tool. ACER Survey Tool will process the personal data only for the purposes for which they were transmitted.
The survey owners (i.e. those who want to create and exploit a questionnaire) sign up to ACER Survey Tool.
ACER Survey Tool stores the login as well as e-mail addresses of the survey owners.
Other personal data
In addition to the personal information processed by the ACER Survey Tool service itself, there are personal data being used within questionnaires, for example in the answers to a survey. Please refer to the privacy statement of the relevant questionnaire for further information.
User's address might be stored if requested by the survey owner. If so, it will be only used for the needs of the said survey. It is stored by ACER Survey Tool and is not intended for sharing with the survey owners.
Cookies and local storage
The system uses
- session "cookies" in order to ensure communication between the client and the server. Therefore, user's browser must be configured to accept "cookies". The cookies disappear once the session has been terminated.
- local storage to save copies of the inputs of a participant to a survey in order to have a backup if the server is not available during submission or the user’s computer is switched off accidentally or any other cause.
The local storage contains the IDs of the questions and the draft answers.
Once a participant has submitted one's answers successfully to the server or has successfully saved a draft on the server, the data is removed from the local storage.
There is a checkbox above the survey to disable the feature (useful if the participant uses a public computer).
5. To whom is your data disclosed?
Only the staff carrying out the processing of your information, and dealing with ACER Survey Tool have access to your data. This includes the ACER Survey Tool team (see contact under point 9), the survey owners and anyone having been granted access to the questionnaires.
Your data might be published through the ACER Survey Tool publication module or via another website (for further information, read the privacy statement specific to the questionnaire)
The ACER Survey Tool team does not transmit any data to parties which are outside these recipients and the legal framework mentioned, without prejudice to a possible transmission to the bodies in charge of an inspection task in accordance with Community legislation, e.g. OLAF, or an investigating magistrate.
ACER Survey Tool will not share personal data with third parties for direct marketing.
6. For how long is your data kept?
Contributors' personal data will remain in the database until the results of the questionnaire have been completely analysed or until the survey owners have requested their removal.
The cookies disappear once the session has been terminated.
7. How can you access your data, check their accuracy and, if needed, correct them?
You can contact the ACER surveys support team. If the team is not in a position to answer your request, they will transmit it to the relevant survey-owner.
Contact by e-mail:
8. What are the contact points for questions or complaints?
If you have concerns about the processing of your personal information in ACER Survey Tool, feel free to contact the ACER DPO for the processing of these data:
Contact by e-mail:
Complaints, in case of conflict, can be addressed